Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Man I Love College

The semester is coming to a close and in case I fail all my finals next week (probably because I blog instead of study), there is one thing I know for certain I have learned these past couple months....

COLLEGE IS FUN 

But dead seriously you guys... 
I have never felt more sure of myself than I do here. There are connections to be made everywhere. It doesn't matter if you are walking past a complete stranger on campus, sitting next to someone on a bus for 5 minutes,  or sitting next to somebody new through an entire lecture... If you want to make a new friend, it literally takes 5 seconds to smile and say hello. Although there are times I feel tired and stressed and just really don't feel like I have the energy to make the effort, I have learned having a happy attitude is always worth the extra strain. And with this upbeat perspective has come so many adventures I wouldn't trade for anything! I don't even know where to begin. There are even experiences in the classroom I have had I am grateful for having, which seems especially nerdy... But HEY! If you are going to embrace something, you might as well give every aspect a nice squeeze.
  • To begin, History is absolutely not a subject I am fond of and the thought of all the dates, events and people gives me major anxiety... However, a couple weeks ago our teacher gave us quite a scare that reminded me of the way good ol' Aaron Hadfield runs his class at Brighton High. He had a big guy from the history department come in pretending to be a superintendent of the school. Typically at the beginning of class, our professor plays funny videos and music that relate to the lecture, but on this day, the tone was serious and dark. The man stood behind a platform and stared down the students as they found their seats. When it was time for class to start, he explained his position at the university and said we were all in deep legal trouble. He said a group of students were found to be apart of a cheating conspiracy on the last exam and in order to figure out who was guilty we would all need to stand before a council and plea our innocence. He also said the legal council of a lawyer was highly recommended because if we were to make one slip up in the examining we would be faced with extreme punishments, including failing the class, being kicked out of the university and the incident being put on our police records. All the while our professor sat on the side of the stage with his head in his hands, making the whole situation very believable. My heart was pounding the whole time, and when I found out it was all part of a role play to simulate how people felt under McCarthyism, I was so relieved along with the rest of the paranoid class. It is situations like this that make me realize how cool getting a higher education can be. 
  • Another part of getting a higher education is stepping out of your comfort zone and learning to be the person you have the potential to be. An example of this is from a couple weekends ago when my roommates and the ladies across the way all went to an institute dance dressed in black head to toe even though the theme was neon and camo (but wait, being all black is camo right? so we weren't rebelling that badly). We ended up calling ourselves The Black Pack or The Black Blob, but we could also call ourselves the Aggieettes because by the end of the night we had had a number of people ask if we were USU's dance team. But honestly, although this dance could have been seen as super lame and boring, we made it probably the funnest dance I have been to this semester (and trust me, us ladies have been to our share of dance parties). The reason it was so fun is we just forgot about all our cares and literally danced like no one was watching (even though there were times during the dance EVERYONE was watching us). We started so many congo lines and even started a really ridiculous session laying on the ground (this started with us laying down to protest the song "Friday" by Rebecca Black but we ended up all dancing kind of like synchronized swimmers on the floor). We strutted our stuff around the whole gym during single ladies and we jumped around to YMCA. The moral of the story here is even though we all felt beyond self conscious and out of place when we walked in wearing dark clothes and heavy makeup amongst all the kids in neon, we had to make the choice to make the night carefree and one we will never forget!
You know, if we are the dance team, we have to have a classic little girl dance picture

These gals will be the reason I have wrinkles on my face by the end of the year from laughing so much.

HOT DANG. BLACK PACK IN THE HIZZOUSE.

Classic. This is our "yoohoo" pose. When ever we see an attractive young lad we get up on our tippy toes and shout YOOOHOOO (except we make it discreet). 

oh what a night
  • And last night my roommates and I decided to make our dorm a cozy nook for the last 2 weeks of the semester. We decorated our living room with tons of paper snowflakes, lights, and a Christmas tree complete with ribbon and homemade popcorn garland for lack of ornaments. After we decorated, we took the cutest pictures, worthy of being made into Christmas cards....





There it is again... YOOOOHOOOO (:


  • This last event took place tonight! It really is the small things that count folks. Rachel, Carly and I decided to take the Aggie Passport challenge and attended 10 passport events in order to have dinner at the President's house. Tonight was the night we got our reward, but it was actually the ride on the shuttle home that I have most appreciation for. It is simple and small, but it really made me realize how much I love being at college! A place where everyone is accepting and willing to have a good time no matter the cost to their "reputation". One boy started singing Christmas carols and it wasn't long before the whole bus joined in and was spreading Christmas cheer. Everyone was singing and laughing and without saying any words to each other, we all bonded. Almost instantly. It is moments like this I love. (:
I am so excited for next semester! I can't wait to see what adventures the future holds.....(:




No comments:

Post a Comment