Thursday, August 21, 2014

Be A Nice Human

Hey people! Forgot I had a blog? So did I.

Fortunately I can give you a 99.99% guarantee you'll be hearing A LOT more from me in ten short days! Why?? Because that's when I leave for my semester abroad in Italy! Halla!

But that isn't what I want to talk about tonight. On a more serious note....

It's 11:32 pm, my house is asleep... (shocker), and I was scrolling through my twitter feed when I read "search #fatpig on instagram, it's rather disturbing". Being the curious type, I did just that, surprised at what I found.

What I saw was thousands of picture of girls far too thin for their own good health and a lot of negative self talk. One year ago I might have looked at it and probably not have had much sympathy toward any of these strangers. However, living with a floor filled with girls this past year has really changed my outlook on self image.

Growing up with two older brothers, I never heard much negative self body talk. I'm definitely not saying this isn't something boys struggle with, but in general, girls have a much different way of thinking. Neither am I saying I have never uttered the words "I'm chubby" myself. But it turns out this is a greater issue than I ever knew.

Boys... DO NOT JOKE ABOUT A GIRL'S APPEARANCE. ESPECIALLY HER WEIGHT.

Girls... DO NOT BRING DOWN ANOTHER GIRL'S CONFIDENCE. ASSERTIVELY OR PASSIVELY.

Comments regarding this, even snide remarks, will eat a girl up (figuratively speaking of course). Everyone has their insecurities. And there is nothing that compares to when somebody else points out a flaw you are already self-conscious of. (This certainly applies to other things besides weight)

This is merely a summary of my thoughts but I figured I would quickly share because I was in fact "disturbed" by what I saw. If nothing else, I hope I have given you a new perspective to 'chew' on....



In addition, here are two links I enjoy. The first has a cool insight for current and future mothers. The second... I just enjoy. For obvious reasons (: Whatever your body type, OWN IT!

How to Talk to Your Daughter About Her Body

It's All About The Bass

No comments:

Post a Comment